Monday, September 13, 2010

Taking classes in the world



Hey everyone!
I am sorry for making this my first post, it has been awhile and I am just starting up. So far it has been an amazing 10 days filled with much experiential learning because we start our first classes tomorrow. Everything is different, and in different ways, and both of the city's (Istanbul and Geneva) have their own personality. Geneva was a very laid back, in a typical European way. We for the 4 5 days explored the shores and mountains of the surrounding area, as well as visited the UN for two days of seminars. Me and three others (Luke, Lindsey and Julia) spent a night in Chamonix France and climbed Mt Brevene, a 2525 m peak. From the top we had a perfect view of Mt. Blanc, the tallest peak of the Alps.
After our times in Geneva we flew to Istanbul Turkey. Here we have had a tour of the old city, including the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia. We met up with the Term in Middle East Olaf group for a night on the town and also watched the National Basketball Championship final of US vs Turkey in the main city square. Otherwise we have enjoyed the culture, and touring both the city of Istanbul and the city of Bursa.
Two experiences that have really stood out to me. First was the performance of the Whirling Dervishes, and second was attending the morning prayer at the Blue Mosque. The prayer experience was amazing. I witnessed the prayer the day after Ramadan was over. I say the devotion of thousands as they communally participated in a religious activity. It was both humbling and challenged my own view of what it means to be religiously devoted. So far I have been having a blast and will try to keep everyone more updated as I move onto Cairo tomorrow.

Chase

2 comments:

  1. there's no facebook "like" button. but i "like" it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Vicki. Ps I have a few rocks already for you :)

    ReplyDelete